An employee may decide to resign for various reasons, including wanting to offer their parent long-term care or a better job opportunity. This is a normal thing in the business world, and as a manager or business owner, you need to find a way of informing other employees about their departure. The best way to notify other employees about one of their own leaving is through an employee leaving announcement email.
When doing this announcement, it’s essential to be concise, professional and detailed on what’s to be expected by the other staff after that. If you don’t know how to go about drafting this email, worry not. Here’s an informative post on how to write an employee announcement email.
What To Include In The Employee Leaving Announcement Email
There are certain must mention things to include in the employee leaving announcement email. Here’s an overview of the details to include in this email.
- Address The Appropriate Department. If the employee leaving is known by everyone in the company, then announcing to everyone is necessary. However, this isn’t necessary if the employee is only known within the department they were working. Therefore, it’s better to make this announcement to the appropriate employees instead to avoid distracting those unfamiliar with the individual.
- Mention The Letter’s Purpose. At the start of your letter, state the purpose of sending the email, informing the employee of leaving the organization.
- State The Employee’s Name. It’s essential to mention the staff’s name leaving to make it easier for other employees to identify them.
- State The Departure Date. Including the departure date in the employee leaving announcement, email is necessary to avoid other employees with questions when their colleague is leaving. Therefore, make sure to include this at the start of the email to give other employees to say their goodbyes.
- State Appropriate Details. Should the employee allow it, you can mention the reason why they’re departing the organization. However, it’s best not to include personal details while doing this. Also, if the employee has been laid off, there’s no need to state it.
- Give Details On The Next Steps. In addition to informing other staff about one of their coworkers leaving, the employee leaving announcement email offers details of what should be expected. This includes the delegation of the employee’s tasks to the employees left behind in the meantime and notifying them either a replacement has been found or the start to find a qualified individual.
- Details About The Farewell Event If Applicable. If a farewell event is being hosted for the employee leaving the company, make sure to mention the appropriate details. This includes the date, time, and location where the event will be held.
- Express Your Gratitude. Most employees don’t feel valued by the company. Because of this, you need to express your gratitude to the departing employee for setting aside their time to contribute towards the company’s growth. It would be best if you also invited the remaining employees to do the same.
- Sign Off. Finish the employee leaving announcement email by stating your title and name at the bottom. And for formality, make sure to include your official signature instead of only a typed name.
Employee Leaving Announcement Email Format
Dear [Company Name] staff,
I am writing today to report to you that [Employee Name] is leaving the organization on [leave date]. [Employee Name] has decided to [mention reason why the employee is leaving in not more than ten words only with the consent of the employee leaving]. Therefore, as of [leave date], all department questions should be directed to [Interim Employee] until we find a suitable replacement.
Feel free to join us on [date] at [time] at [location] for a farewell event for [Employee Name]. We very much appreciate the hard work that [Employee Name] has delivered over the last [length of employment], where they have played an integral role in [name contribution]. Finding a replacement will no doubt be difficult. I would personally take this opportunity to wish you the best in all your future endeavors.
Sample Employee Departure Announcement Email
Dear XYZ Company staff,
I am writing today to report to you that Max Richards is leaving the organization on January 31st, 2020. Max Richards has decided to focus on some personal matters. Therefore, as of January 31st, 2021, all department questions should be directed to Sharon Daniel until we find a suitable replacement.
Feel free to join us on February 2nd, 2021, at 5 P.M in the office break room for a farewell event for Max Richards. We appreciate the hard work that Max Richards has delivered over the last eight years, where they have played an integral role as the marketing manager. Finding a replacement will no doubt be difficult. I would personally take this opportunity to wish you the best in all your future endeavors.
Senior Manager of Human Resources
Announcement of Employee Leaving Company (Word Template)
The employee leaving announcement email is a great way to inform other employees about an employee’s departure. In addition to that, it’s an opportunity to thank the employee for their contribution and commitment to see to help the company grow. If you didn’t know how to write one, this comprehensive article has highlighted every important detail you need to know.