A farewell letter to friends and colleagues is a document written to co-workers, colleagues, or friends when you are leaving a workplace. The farewell letter informs the recipients of the date you plan to leave and conveys your decision to make changes in your employment place. The letter tells them goodbye and allows you to share your feelings with all recipients. The farewell note is more formal with colleagues, but informal to friends and family.
If you’re having trouble getting started, we offer a few tips and a letter format that simplifies the process. A fillable template form can be used to write several different farewell letters by changing the wording. The format remains the same.
A farewell letter to friends and colleagues does not need to be lengthy. The best letters are short and worded expertly. The vocabulary is chosen carefully to convey your feelings in a heartfelt manner. A farewell letter should have a warm and friendly tone and thank your friends and colleagues for the time you’ve spent together. It tells them that you’re leaving and may include details of your new venture.
Tips for writing the farewell to friends and colleagues
- Choose the appropriate tone. If you’re writing to a close friend, the letter will be informal and more personal. If the letter is to colleagues without a strong personal bond, the letter should be more formal.
- Stay positive. Keep the tone of the letter positive. Avoid complaining about the job you’re leaving. Instead, say something uplifting. You want to leave others with a positive impression of you.
- Choose heartfelt sentiments. Avoid making up scenarios that are not true. State any positive feelings you have that are honest and true. If someone has helped you, show thankfulness and be sincere.
- Keep the farewell letter brief. A farewell letter should be reasonably short and to the point. Avoid language that rambles.
What to Include
- You can opt to share where details of your move or keep it private
- Share your heartfelt feelings for time spent with your friends and colleagues
- Express your thankfulness
- Provide your contact information
- Close on a positive note
Farewell Letter to Friends and Colleagues (Format)
[Name of recipient]
Dear [Recipient Name]
I am writing to inform you that as of [last day of work], I will be leaving [company name].
While I’m excited about my new post at [name of new company], it is with sadness that I leave my friends and colleagues at [company name].
[2 to 3 sentences expressing your thankfulness about the time spent at the company. Acknowledge benefits of working with friends and colleagues].
[Closing sentence and wishes for success]
Sample Farewell Letter to Friends and Colleagues
298 Savidge Way
Ellensburg, OR 98489
October 12, 2020
Ms. Anna Brown
379 Elm Street
Conrad, OR 97899
Dear Ms. Brown,
I’m writing this letter to inform you that my last day at Brown Construction will be Friday, October 18, 2020. While I’m looking forward to the opportunities that lie ahead for me, it is with sadness that I must say goodbye to my friends and colleagues at Brown Construction. I want to thank you for the opportunity to grow and learn. We’ve spent eight wonderful years of triumphs and challenges, and I appreciate our time together. I hope that our paths cross again in the future. I wish you the best of success in your personal and professional endeavors. Thanks again!
Goodbye Letter to Friends and Colleagues (Word Template)
Writing a farewell letter is a way to say goodbye to friends and colleagues. It allows you to express your genuine feelings of thankfulness and wish them well in their lives. A well-crafted farewell letter leaves a positive impression. Using a fillable form helps you begin the letter, but it also allows you to customize the words for various situations.